How often do you put yourself down on any given day?
I’m serious. More often than not, it’s something we’ve all done – even without thinking. It’s easy, after all. Straight to negative town. *cracks a joke about how I’ll die alone* = literally me thinking I’m funny.
But it needs to stop.
I thought I’d kick the mid-week blahs up a notch (because we’re all ready for Friday, are we not?) and share 10 ways to be kind to yourself. It is the year of me after all. Hey positivity train – let’s go!
- Find what works and buy it in every color. We all have that pair (or pairs) of jeans in our closet that will never fucking fit us unless we lose 10 pounds. Just get rid of them. Instead focus on the items that work for your bod and buy them in multiple colors. When you feel confident, it radiates.
- Give someone else a compliment. I cannot tell you how well this works. I compliment everyone from my friends to complete strangers on occasion. That one line that took you no effort whatsoever could make someone’s day. And I can’t tell you how happy it makes me to just make the extra effort.
- Find a workout and enjoy it. Working out releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy. And happy people don’t kill their husbands now do they? But the point is – if it’s a workout dvd or a yoga class – get it going, girlfriend!
- Treat yourself. If it’s a lipgloss from your fav reality tv show queen or a fab pair of shoes, just do it (sometimes, so it’s special, let’s be clear).
- Forgive yourself, because life’s too short. But really. If you ate that whole buffalo chicken dip, just let it go. Go for a run/walk/whatever and move on. No point in beating yourself up.
- Recognize the good. I’m talking about recognition here, people. Did you have a kickass presentation at work? Did you manage not to annoy anyone after a competitive game of wiffle ball? I dunno, but just take those wins and enjoy them. You earned it!
- Enjoy some alone time. As an extrovert, I’ve actually realized that I enjoy this (in small doses). I have found that I love the recharge that alone time brings. From blogging, to doing my nails, or even a face mask – those little things count.
- Call your mom. Or your dad. Or your brother. Anyone. Give someone a shout and catch up – it’ll probably make their day. And it’s just another way you’re being kind to yourself.
- Make a list of positives. We all feel it. Some days we feel like everything is against us and we can do nothing right. If you write down all the positive things about you – even if you need to rally your BFF to help you create it – keep it for those rainy days when you need a lift.
- Laugh. I had to end with this one. Because laughter IS the best medicine. Those moments when you can’t breathe from laughing so hard? Find those friends who take you there and surround yourself with them. I promise, it’s all you’ll really need.
What do you do to be kind to yourself? Do share!