Everyone that knows me can vouch for my hatred of flying. The people, the plane, the heights, the friggen turbulence. Oh my. Even though it’s not my favorite thing, it’s a necessary part of life. Actually as I write this, I’m sitting on a nice plane (Southwest is my fav by the way), waiting for my tasty adult bevvie to ease the nerves. Did I mention turbulence? It’s my nightmare.
From the time I get to the airport, i know the exact best places to park and haul my butt to the security line (oh and I’ve mastered that too with my handy CLEAR card) and then I’m ready to board and get on my way. It kinda baffles me-and I know it shouldn’t-in that so many do not know what to do once they get to the airport. It’s like all common sense is lost. Now families with kiddos, I’ll give you a pass-that’s gotta be tough. But the rest of you-no excuses. Here’s my 5 random tips for said travelers:
1. Please learn how to pack so you can get through security in less than 2 hours that it currently takes you to take off your 3 belts, hat, jacket, 2 laptops, liquids, chaps, helmet, etc., etc.
2. Check in ahead of time. Easy one.
3. Walk faster than a snails pace. If you have enough time to walk that slow then you shouldn’t be there that early.
4. Bringing your prized show kitties through security? And yes I’ve seen it. Ok there’s no tip, it equally cracked me up and annoyed me. Fur. Everywhere.
5. For the love and sanity of everyone else-if you’ve never flown before-ask family and friends for tips or even Google how to not suck at traveling. Seriously. And us frequent fliers will thank you.
And now you’re wondering what I love about flying? You can’t get to your destination faster than a good plane ride. Take me to the mountains for the weekend, Southwest. I gotta love flying for that.
One of my necessary travel companions. I’ll save another post for all my travel necessities.