Are you ready? It’s the first full week of the new year which means everyone is either back at work or in school. Traffic is back to its normal chaos and the desire to get everything accomplished right now is on everyone’s minds.
And all of that leads to the need for motivation on this Monday. I have been thinking about my post from Friday and although I was somewhat of a slacker this weekend (and it was amazing), I have a new-found energy for the week. There’s a lot on the agenda but I think we can all find time to do a few of these quick little boosts in the health and fitness category.
First, the fitness…
- Get up just 20-30 minutes early and pop in a work out tape. Do some yoga poses even. You’ll hate losing sleep, I promise you’ll be grateful later. (Tip: sleep in your workout clothes.)
- Park further away from your office/place of work and walk.
- On that same note, take the stairs. It may seem like a pain in the ass, but you’ll thank me when your ass looks way better after a few weeks.
- Have a walking lunch or break. Find a friend and make it fun.
- Get your butt off your chair and walk to go ask someone a question. If you’re in an office like moi, it’s important not to sit all day.
- If you are at a job that has you on your feet, add some squats and/or curls into your shift in little intervals. Any little bit helps!
- Put your gym bag in your car so you go straight to the gym/yoga/whatever class after work. I find that I can talk myself out of working out at any moment – even when I have my workout outfit on – but this helps when you end up being stuck at the office/traffic longer than you thought.
- Check out some workouts I’ve pinned, especially those from the Tone It Up girls. They are some of my favs. You can do them at home and they don’t take up a large chunk of time. If you can do it while watching your fav Bravo show, there is no excuse!
And onto the health…
- Since eating right is the main component of how you can live a healthy, long life – this section is important. Make conscious choices in everything you put in your bod. You’ve only got one – so don’t fuck it up.
- And if you do? No biggie – just don’t keep doing it. Have a bad food sesh and move on. The next time you pick up food, it should be a vegetable.
- Speaking of veggies – I can’t get enough of those bad boys. Enjoy your super foods with every meal. Get educated on the ones you should buy organic (helpful hint: those that have skins that you eat is a good rule of thumb) and stock up. Yeah it requires more trips to the grocery store, but remember – you’re worth it.
- Fruit is a beautiful thing too. It’s not as high up there as veggies but give me a yummy clementine or apple and I’m a happy girl.
- Pack your lunches. Plan those meals. I think all of us have heard – when you fail to plan – you plan to fail.
- It’s a paleo kind of thing. Now there are so many diets out there but I think paleo/PFC is the way to go if you’re going to pick something. PFC = protein/fat/carbs. And when I say carbs – not the yucky bread kind (who are we kidding, I’m obsessed with bread) but the complex kind, including fruits and things like sweet potatoes. If you can do PFC at every meal you’re on the right track.
- I know what you’re thinking – fat is good for you? Sure is! The stuff labeled fat-free/low fat is such crap. They take the fat out and replace it with what you ask? SUGAR. Which is kind of the devil. Sugar is so bad for you, but I’ll have to go on an anti sugar rant another time. Because I’m still currently addicted. Vicious cycle. Sugar is in so many things.
- Cut back on the alcohol. I tend to be a bit of a wine-o (and love my Kentucky bourbon), but cutting back on the amount and the frequency can only benefit you.
- Portion control. We all know that it’s not a great idea to eat the entire container of Oreos and then it just happens. Ha. Ok, so if you’re going to be bad – just take out one or two (or five, whatever) and put that shit on a plate and move away from the kitchen. Be mindful and your body will thank you.
I guess I could go on and on about little health and fitness tips for your daily life, but I’ll keep it at this for now. Just pick a few of these things and I have no doubt you’ll start to feel better about yourself. I’m not an expert by ANY means but I have done a bunch of research just because I enjoy learning about living a healthy life.
And if you really want to hear more about any of these things, let me know! I can go more in depth about any of the topics. And maybe I will anyway. You’re welcome.
Hope you feel motivated on this Monday!